Know The Facts: Water in Namibia

Over 70% of the earth's surface is water

97% of the Earth's water is in the oceans and seas, the other 3% is fresh water in glaciers, lakes, ground water rivers and the atmosphere. But only 1 % of this can be used by people.

Namibia is the driest country south of the Sahara

Currently, of all the water that falls as rainfall in Namibia, 83% evaporates, 14% returns to the atmosphere, 1 % recharges groundwater, with only 2% remaining for runoff and potential surface water recharge.

The agricultural sector is the largest water use sector in Namibia

Over 40% of water demand in Namibia is for irrigation. This demand is expected to increase to about 65% by the year 2030.
Irrigation mainly takes place on the perennial river systems in the northern and southern parts of the country.

How is Climate Change Affecting Namibia?

Learn about the regional profile for all regions in the country.

News & Updates


Environmental Awareness for Sustainable Development: A Resource Book for Namibia - UPDATED, ELECTRONIC VERSION NOW AVAILABLE

Solar energy for rural schools in Zambezi

Energy efficiency key to fight climate change

Value our Environment

Learn more about how to become a Champion for environmental protection in Namibia

Learn More